Agenda: Monday 30th November | Sessions begin at 13:50
|For sponsorship, Exhibition or Marketing Partner Enquiries please write to
18:00 | Pre - Conference Forum Sessions Close
19:30 | Official Power Europe Welcome Dinner for All Summit Attendees
Monday 30th November | Pre-Conference Forums | 13:00 - 17:30
Summit Session Timings Overview | 28th - 30th November
Wednesday 2nd Dec. | Main Conference (EPD/ EPG) Day 2 | 08:50 - 16:00
Tuesday 1st Dec. | Main Conference (EPD/ EPG) Day 1 | 08:50 - 18:30
How to Deploy Smart Grid Applications to Combat Power Outages and
Cut Network Losses
Equipment failure, degradation and small-scale outages cost utilities money - an estimated $150bn
every year in the US alone, according to research by the US Department of Energy. So how could a
suite of smart grid applications help improve grid reliability? Efficient and timely service-problem
identification gives a distribution system operator (DSO) the ability to predict and pre-empt outages
and poor service eliminating the need for the customer to call and report an outage. Proactive
maintenance, triggered by improved visibility of the network operation and performance, can lead to
avoidance of outages due to failed equipment. By installing intelligent, local applications, utilities
can also benefit from real-time, autonomous decision-making, where data can be shared across a
variety of devices and platforms in a smart grid.
Exemplifying the benefits of smart grid applications in a use-case scenario, this session will
demonstrate the potential advantages of using distributed intelligence and smart grid applications
1) Proactively understand where there is network under stress to prevent outages
2) Use analytics to identify the consumer base and potential impacts and implement a prioritisation
mechanism for repairs.
3) Recognise more effectively when outages do happen, identifying problems more quickly and
impacting less consumers.
Featuring specialists from OSGP Alliance as well as OSGP Alliance utility members will share their
knowledge and experiences on how:
- Distributed control nodes identify and isolate issues, enabling rapid response.
- Automated problem identification can be incorporated into the smart grid to reduce
manpower and operational expenditure.
- Distributed intelligence can work across different platforms and devices to save
Cleaner, Smarter, Cheaper: Responding to Opportunities in a
Changing Energy System in Europe
- Why Europe can aim for much more RES by 2030 at similar costs
- Why gas plays a much smaller role in balancing the grid than currently
perceived, even as Europe retires coal, due to smart electrification and
demand side flexibility.
- How the power sector can reduce emissions much faster and deeper
that the current 2DG pathway.
- Why the EU is looking at deeper cuts by 2030 targets in lights of
WB2DG under the Paris Agreement.
Speaker: Stijn Carton, Energy Systems Programme, European Climate
Speaker: Mark Ossel, Member of the Board
|Pre-Conference Power Project Financing Forum | Sessions begin at 13:50
Project Finance Structuring for Energy Utilities & Investors
Speaker: Andrew Doyle, Executive Director, MUFG Bank
- Project financing structures for facilitating differing finance strategies
- Key considerations for investors and utilities
- Recent trends in power & renewables in the EMEA region
Embracing the Low-Carbon Energy Future for South East Europe -
Perspective of an Investor in the Bulgarian Power Market
Speaker: Olivier Marquette, President, AES Bulgaria and Head of Business
Development Eurasia, AES
As of June 2017, Olivier Marquette assumed the position of Head of Business
Development Eurasia & AES Bulgaria President. Together with his new
engagements, he continues to serve as President of AES and Bulgaria.
Prior to joining AES Bulgaria in 2015, he was a VP Business Development in
AES Dominican Republic. Previously Olivier worked at EDF) for 9 years.
EU Conventional and RES Power & Energy Project Financing: Short to
Medium Term Prospects & Risks / Return Profile
- Future of financing for power: syndicate profiles and requirements
- Falling cost of solar & renewables vs Low of hydrocarbon prices: Impact on renewable vs
conventional power investments
- Renewables & auction processes for subsidies Vs feed-in tariffs or contract for differences
at fixed levels
- Effect on power projects given the record number of sovereign down-grades
- Requirements of the new energy investor: Profile of equity infrastructure funds seeking
Ivan Androcec, Section Head of Investment Strategy and New Technology, HEP
Olivier Marquette, President and Head of Business Development Eurasia, AES Bulgaria
Andrew Doyle, Executive Director, MUFG Bank
Lada Strelnikova, Portfolio Manager Sustainable Investments at DWS, Lead investment Manager
European Energy Efficiency Fund, DWS (Deutsche Bank Group)
|15:30 - 16:00 Networking Coffee | New technology Forum starts at 16:00 - 18:00
|MEA & India Power
Grid Operations Evolution – Next Generation Grid Operations
- The role of SCADA – SCADA as just being one function
- Modular design of operational systems – service oriented architectures
- Applications based grid operation – Grid operations platform –
Speaker: Bas Kruimer, Director for Intelligent Networks & Communication,
Bas has extensive experience in Smart Energy & Intelligent Grid Operations
and Security, of course! His key focus is on operations, automation and
security of utility grids and processes addressing strategic & operational
challenges and implementation of the energy transition and renewables
|European Power Strategy & Systems Summit
& Power Project Financing and New Technologies Forum
30 November - 2 December 2020 | Prague | Czech Republic
|"The quality of speakers
has been once again,
Luis Ferreira, Head of
Energy Efficiency & Electric
"Excellent overview of the
challenges being faced by
the utilities industry today
the technical solutions
currently available and
Marketing Director, Wärtsilä
"An exceptional summit.
Very good speakers that
completely satisfied what I
wanted to hear about.
Excellent job by the EPG
ADMIE S.A (Greek T.S.O)
"Extremely informative and
insightful regarding the
most recent power market
preparing for the
challenges ahead - All
excellent speakers and
presentations, thank you!"
"Attending Power Europe I
get important additional
insights regarding the
occurring in the European
Structured Finance - Power &
Renewables. ING Bank NV
"Extremely useful to be
situation in European
"Extremely useful to be
energy markets, the return
informed of the current on
electricity pricing structure
and market design."
Financial Planning Director
NP Market Council
interesting attendees and
perfect organisation - a
networking MUST! "
VP - Commercial & Business
" An excellent conference,
very informative and
extremely well organised. "
E.ON & EURELECTRIC